If you’re wondering how to smoke wax without a dab rig, you’re not alone. After discovering marijuana wax, the first question most people ask is, “How in the heck do I use this stuff?”
That’s where this article comes in.
We’ll tell you how to smoke wax using simple and accessible methods that even the newest cannaenthusiast is familiar with.
First, though, let’s discuss another pressing question: what is wax?
What Is Weed Wax?
Weed wax — a.k.a. cannabis wax, marijuana wax, or just wax — is a concentrate (or extract) with a much higher THC- or CBD-percentage than regular bud.
Wax is called wax because, in its final form, it looks like earwax (or, more appetizingly, solid coconut oil or thick honey).
Wax isn’t the only concentrate that big cannabis produces. Other, similar products include:
- And others…
Think of these products as wax siblings: there’s very little chemical variety, and they all just look a bit different from one another.
Of these options, wax is probably the preferred form for beginners. It’s easier to produce, easier to handle, easier to measure, and easier to use.
We’re not saying you should avoid shatter, budder, and crumble at all costs — you may like them better than wax. We’re just saying we’d probably choose wax first because of the reasons mentioned above.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s discuss how to smoke wax without a rig.
How To Smoke Wax Without A Rig
How To Smoke Wax With A Bong
If you’re wondering how to smoke wax without a dab rig, look no further than a similar piece of equipment: the bong.
Bongs and dab rigs are pretty much the same thing except that the dab rig has a nail and the bong doesn’t.
So instead of heating up the nail of your dab rig before taking your first toke, you’ll need to pack the bowl of your bong in a very special way.
Here’s how to smoke wax with a bong:
- Find one or two nugs in your stash (or break them off a larger bud) that are slightly larger than the diameter of the downstem and insert them into the bowl.
- Add a few small pieces of wax.
- Gather another nugget of marijuana from your stash, remove any seeds and stems and, while holding it over the bowl, rip it into small pieces with your fingers. The finer you make it the easier it is to pack in the bowl and the better it will burn. Alternatively, you can use a grinder to shred your cannabis before packing it on top of your wax.
- Fill the bowl the rest of the way with shredded marijuana.
- Light up, puff away, and pass the bong around.
When you pack the bowl with wax in the middle, you create an oven-like effect where the wax vaporizes thanks to the burning ganja around it (e.g., at lower temperatures).
These lower temperatures preserve a larger percentage of the cannabinoids, allowing you to inhale more of the good stuff with a single breath.
How To Smoke Wax With A Joint, Blunt, Or Spliff
Thankfully, the dab rig isn’t the only way to have fun with cannabis concentrates — there are other ways to learn how to smoke wax.
Aside from the bong, one of the easiest, most familiar, and most accessible methods is to roll a bit of wax in your joint, blunt, or spliff.
If you’re rolling a joint or blunt (or even a cross joint) from scratch, cut three or four small pieces of wax off the larger wad and distribute them evenly down the length of your joint before closing.
If you’ve purchased a product from a local dispensary and want to add a concentrate kick to the mix, you’ll have to deconstruct the joint, blunt, or spliff, add the wax, and then reroll everything together in order to smoke it.
It’s kind of a pain to do this because you first have to deconstruct the product before reconstructing it. But adding wax to a pre-rolled joint, blunt, or spliff is sometimes quicker and less stressful.
After adding the concentrate, you can rely on the “memory” of the wrapper to roll up much quicker instead of struggling again and again to form the flat sheet into something resembling a tube.
The manufacturer has done all the hard work for you (i.e., rolling it the first time).
How To Make Wax At Home
If you’re keen to cook up a batch of weed wax at home — without the risk of death or loss of property that comes with butane extraction — have we got a treat for you!
In this section, we’ll give you step-by-step instructions for brewing a batch of wax using a much safer solvent: alcohol.
But we’re not going to use just any alcohol. We’re going to use 99-100% pure isopropyl alcohol.
Isopropyl alcohol is a lot different from the vodka you may have stashed in your cupboard. It’s even different from the strongest “over-the-counter” alcohol you’ve been eyeing at your local liquor store (Everclear and Absinthe, we’re looking at you).
Isopropyl alcohol is not meant for human consumption, so don’t, by any means, put it in your mouth. It’s a lot safer than butane as a solvent, but it’s still harmful if swallowed in large quantities.
It’s also important to understand that isopropyl alcohol is flammable. It’s nowhere near as bad as butane, but you don’t want to handle it around an open flame. Needless to say, it’s not a good idea to try this recipe if all you have is a gas stove.
OK, enough with the warnings. On to the DIY.
Those in the know (like you are now) call this the QWISO process. QWISO stands for “Quick Wash Of Isopropyl Alcohol.”
Here’s what you’ll need to make marijuana wax at home.
- 2.5 grams of your favorite ganja
- Containers that pour well and are freezer- and heat-safe
- 99-100% isopropyl alcohol
- Metal mesh screen
- Unbleached coffee filters
- Hot water
1) Break up your bud just a bit (not too small).
2) Put it in an oven-safe container and dry the cannabis at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Please note: this is not decarboxylation.
3) Once the cannabis is sufficiently dry, put it and the bottle of alcohol in the freezer for three to five hours.
4) Wait (this is the hardest part).
5) Pour enough cold alcohol over the cannabis to cover it by at least one inch.
6) Gently swish the mix for 20 seconds.
7) Separate the bud from the alcohol by pouring through a mesh screen.
8) Set the plant matter aside for now (from here on out, we’re going to focus on the alcohol).
9) Pour the alcohol through an unbleached coffee filter into another container.
10) Squeeze the coffee filter to get as much of the alcohol out as possible.
11) Allow the alcohol to evaporate. You can do this in one of three ways:
- Place a coffee filter over the top of the container and just give it time.
- Place the container in a warm water bath to speed the process.
- If you’re really impatient (like we are), you can put the water bath on the stove at low to medium heat until you see liquid start to evaporate. Be sure not to boil the alcohol.
12) When all the alcohol is gone, scrape the wax out of the container and store it in a glass container or on some parchment paper.
That’s it. Now, all that’s left to do is enjoy the fruits of your labor.
You can also run the original buds through a second wash to get every single drop of the remaining good stuff.
Go back to step five in the directions above. Then, in step six, swish the mix for 60 seconds instead of 20. Proceed from step seven to the end. That’s all there is to it!
If you’re really into the extraction process, you could run the original buds through a third wash, but you’ll have to swish the mix for 180 seconds (or three minutes).
The nice thing about wax is that a little goes a long way. So even the trace amount you squeeze out with the third wash might be enough for a hit that gets you nice and high.
How To Smoke Wax: Quality In Equals Quality Out
When it comes to buying wax from a reputable source or brewing your own batch at home, it’s always good to go by this rule of thumb:
Quality in equals quality out.
Sure, you can save money by using regs and mids to cook your wax, but that will leave you with a low-quality final product that might not give you the effects you’re after.
If you live in Colorado, find some Honest Marijuana and discover what the purest marijuana experience on the planet feels like. You won’t be sorry.
For more information on all things cannabis and to check out our 100-percent all-natural marijuana products, visit HonestMarijuana.com today.